Yup, I said it…
Honestly, who doesn’t love a good donut?
And what’s better than a donut that’s HEALTHY (ish)?
So, I recently picked up this new magazine called “Cut the sugar” because yes, sometimes I like to try and be healthy. Usually my attempts go something like this… Yogurt for breakfast, salad for lunch, Portillos for dinner. I call it balance… some people would disagree with me on that.
In all honesty I really do TRY to be healthy. I am pretty good at it but when the weekends come around everything goes downhill. So when I saw this recipe I thought “PERFECT!” I can have donuts on the weekend and not have to feel horrible about it. These donuts have 9 grams of sugar compared to a bakery version that has 25 grams.
Ok, I’ll stop rambling and give you the recipe already
Prep time: 25 mins (ya right, this always takes me double the time… anyone else?)
Bake time: 15 mins at 350
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup strawberries, cut into 1/4 – inch pieces
- 1/2 of a medium banana
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt (I used greek yogurt and they turned out fine)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- chocolate or cream cheese drizzle (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat a standard size donut pan or muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl stir together the first five ingredients (through salt). In a large bowl mash together 1/2 cup of the strawberries and the banana. Stir in the next five ingredients (through vanilla). Stir yogurt mixture into flour mixture. Gently stir in remaining strawberries.
- Spoon batter into large resealable plastic bag. Cut off a corner; squeeze batter into prepared pan, filling each cup about 2/3 full. Smooth tops with a greased spoon (this is a MUST! This batter is SUPER sticky and this step was definitely not as easy as I thought it was going to be)
- Bake 15 mins or until donuts are nearly firm when lightly pressed. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 3 mins. Turn donuts out of pan onto wire rack to cool completely. Top with chocolate or cream cheese drizzle.
Chocolate drizzle: melt 2 oz dark chocolate. drizzle on donuts and let stand until set.
Cream cheese drizzle: Thin 2 oz cream cheese with milk, 1 to 2 tbsp at a time, to a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over donuts and let stand until set.
That’s it, guys! Let me know how it turns out for you or if you made any adjustments. I would definitely make these again… Cole and Mitch demolished them. Yum!
Have a good night.