Ha, that’s a weird title, right? How to be a mom. Like, who knows the answer to that? No one.
When I first had Cole I had a reallllllly rough time.
I actually had a lot of experience with kids. I have 5 nieces and nephews and I have nannied for many, many years.
But I think the thing that was the most difficult for me was the fact that once that baby comes you literally have NO time for yourself.
Cole came three weeks early – right before my last day of work. I was thinking I would have 2 weeks (at least) to prepare for the baby and “nest.” NOPE! Cole wanted out.
So, he came three weeks before my due date and obviously we were head over heels in love.
But I’m not gonna lie – not having any “me” time was tough. I FINALLY have a rhythm that works for us and take advantage of those moments of the day where I can squeeze in 5 mins here and there.
Five tips that get me through the day
- I wake up in the morning BEFORE Cole, brush my teeth, wash my face, get dressed (usually leggings and a new tee) and throw on a little makeup (if he’s still asleep). I also try to make the bed. I CANNOT tell you what these little things do for me. When I wake up right when Cole wakes up I feel groggy, crabby, I probably wont brush my teeth until noon (sorry, that’s the truth) and I’ll be in my pjs for most of the day. Mentally, I feel so gross when that happens! If I can wake up 20 mins before Cole and start the day feeling somewhat put together it makes me feel like a MILLION bucks. Also, I neverrrrr used to be a bed maker. But there is something about walking into your bedroom throughout the day or at the end of the day and seeing a made bed. I’m tellin’ ya – these little things have such a positive impact!
- Eat well. Recently I REALLLLLLY started paying attention to what I was putting into my body. Just educating myself and going into things with an open mind. I have been able to learn SO much about health and nutrition just by reading and following some great people on social media. And when I am eating well I am SO much more clear-headed. No, I am not perfect – I had Portillo’s last night – it’s gonna happen. But if majority of the time I am being aware of what I am eating, I am more energized and feel SOOO much better. Not only that, I am someone that gets an upset stomach a lot (is that TMI? idc…ha) but when I am eating right all of those issues subside.
- Take advantage of the quiet moments! You will figure out what works for you. I have always been a busy body. My mom and other people would tell me to sleep when the baby sleeps but I just could not do that. I am not a napper and that was fine. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I napped when Cole was napping. But my point is – when the baby is napping do something for YOU! If you love naps then take a nap! Don’t think about the laundry or the dishes. If you like to be creative (hi! that’s me) than take that time to draw, paint, whatever! Time for yourself is SOOOO important and it took me a while to realize that.
- Early bedtimes. I’m sorry, some might disagree with me on this one but the best thing we decided to do was give Cole an early bedtime. He goes down at 7:30. That way Mitch and I have a couple hours to ourselves before we go to bed. I’m tellin’ ya – it’s a game changer.
- Positivity, people. Surround yourself with positive people. Once I had Cole it was an EYE OPENER! I realized how selfish some people were that were in my life. It also made me realize who my true friends were and who I wanted to stick around. I really didn’t care about anything other than my little family and having positive influences around my baby. You see the world differently once you have a kid.
I’d love to hear what works for you as a mom. Hope you all are having an amazing Thursday! FriYAY is tomorrow!